Friday, June 27, 2008

Fabric Combos

So. After I posted my may baby blankets, I received a request for a tutorial on how to make the flannel rag blankets. I'm almost to the point where I can fulfill that request, but I'm having trouble coming up with fabric combinations.

Here's my dilemma. Girls are easy to make blankets for. I can find five (my favorite number) different fabrics that will coordinate. Boys are more difficult. I can find two, maybe three fabrics that work well together. There just isn't the same selection availability in masculine themes. (I'm leaning to ward a boyish blanket as I'm expecting a boy for this fall. Might as well kill two birds with one stone, eh?) In an attempt to be economical, I turned to my stash for inspiration. What I thought was a good idea at the cutting counter is giving me second thoughts now.

Then I made the mistake of asking my darling husband what he thought of my proposed combination. (Way too late at night, I might add.) This sparked a great "colorful" debate over what makes fabrics "go" together. (I'm certain that he just can't fully appreciate my incredible creative genious, and he's not afraid to tell me what he really thinks. This is a quality I'm trying valiantly (vainly?) to accept.) He proposed a different fabric combo, which I thought was incredibly uncoordinated. We're trying to agree to disagree, and I'm posting each combination to ask YOUR opinion on what looks good together... and I'm not telling who put which together, although you might be able to tell...


Option One



Option Two
Which one do you like best? Which one do you think makes more sense? and why?




Here are a few other ideas....



Under the Sea





3-2-1 Blast Off!





Shades of Green (shark fabric would be back of quilt)





Transportation





Counting Sheep
Can you tell I'm going to be busy for awhile? I haven't even gotten into the girl fabric I have stashed away to make more rag quilts! I love putting unexptected combinations together.
Can't wait to hear what y'all think!



8 comments:

Scott said...

Option #1 is definately the way to go! It's pretty much a no-brainer.

Austysmum said...

I like blast off best - and bub will have so much fun looking at the bright colours. Out of 1 &2 I'd say 1 - I like the three on the right of opt 2 but that leopard skin print doesn't really go with the island theme...

traci said...

I like the blast off too. But, in all honesty, all the combos go. I know when you are picking out fabric it is hard to tell because your mind starts swirling and such, but usually when you take a step back or look at someone else's combos, they look great. It's hard for you (in particular) to get it wrong. So, I like them all. Isn't that helpful?!!!

Anonymous said...

I like the shades of green combo and the counting sheep combo.

Can you come fabric shopping with me? I never seem to find combinations I like and can't figure out that pesky color wheel.

I should have picked your brain more in UT.

Sunflower-6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunflower-6 said...

Jen,
Can I just say WOW!!! You have an amazing talent. As I was browsing through your posts, I couldn't believe my eyes. You do great work.

Anonymous said...

I have a question...

When you machine quilt, do you do it by squares (segments) or do you just run a squiggly line down the blanket in a row by row fashion?

Anonymous said...

and one more...what in the heck is a minky fabric?