Here's the blessing dress I made for my sweet new little niece, HRM (Her Royal Majesty?). Here she is, only 3 weeks old, and already contemplating the meaning of life... (my kids didn't even have that much hair at two years of age!!)
After talking with my sister, I discovered that she likes embroidery, overlays and "silky" fabric. None of the "doily stuff" like I made for another niece. =)
Full view of the dress, McCall pattern 3063, roughly view C, for scalloped overlay. (I think I've used this pattern six times, view A once, view C once, view F three times, and view E once. I'm planning on using view E/F this fall for my baby!)
I thought this was the most georgous scalloped overlay. The design was slightly asymmetrical, very sweeping and full of movement. I got the fabric on clearance at JoAnn's, and both selvage edges were scalloped, resulting in more opportunities to "fussy cut" the bodice and sleeves.
The entire dress is lined, except for the sleeves, which are left sheer. I did tack down a few of the poking flowers--which were three dimensional on the overlay. I loved the added texture and dimension.
Yes, I was even crazy enough to have to "fussy-cut" some embroidery for the sleeve bands. Couldn't let them stay plain.
The back is the simplest, taken from the top of the sheer fabric, which was the least ornamented. I used clear rose shaped buttons to keep with the light look of the fabric. I used a light batiste for the lining, as this will be used in the summer time.
This dress is something I would never have thought of, but it turned out beautifully. It reminds me of a fluffy cloud-very light and airy. I really enjoyed trying something new-sewing with a sheer overlay over an entire dress and not just the skirt-and had a lot of fun making this dress. I hope the girls like it! =)
0 comments:
Post a Comment