For the Spring Break trip, on which I was flying with two small children, I decided I needed a new purse. I have a tendancy to fill whatever container I am given with every item I might possibly (but most likely not) need during the course of an event. I knew I'd have to limit my "container" or else I'd be packcing an impossible load whilst keeping track of the wee one's goods. (Plus, I've wanted to try this purse for awhile, and the pattern was on sale the week before I left, perfect!!)

I used Vogue pattern V7862, which is a travel messanger bag by Sandra Betzina. For the fabric I chose a piece of golden brocade I'd picked up as a yard remnant. I don't usually sew Vogue patterns, since they're more difficult, but I like to challenge myself now and again. (Takes my mind off the other stresses in my life...not sure if it's denial or a coping mechanism.) My new skill to pick-up would be sewing invisible zippers. Yeah, never done that before. I had three of them on this purse. I really enjoyed it (once I figured out how to attach that little plastic foot and not mix up the fabric).
Things I learned: Brocade is a pain in the patootie to sew on. I don't have a serger and I don't zig-zag the edges very well, so I had all sorts of fibers sticking out all over, not to mention it shifts shape as you sew...results of not being a "stiff" fabric. I really liked the invisible zippers, but I need more practice to make them match up nicely on the outside of the fabric. I also used too stiff of a stabilizer in the shoulder. It needs to soften up a bit so it doesn't look so hard. I also didn't like the way the topstitching looked like it pulled the fibers all wonky. 
Oh, and I'd be more careful not to repeat my pattern dead center where the zipper and all the focus is. (I switched the two pieces around and didnt' realize it until it was too late!) Not that I have to match it exactly...(I mean, this isn't plaid we're talking about)...just not so obviously un-matched.
Things I liked about traveling with it: I loved the zippered pockets in the strap for my photo id and cell phone and quick cash.
(I put gum and chapstick and candies for the kids in the other). It also lay flat against me and wasn't too bulky (I did try to fill it, though). Plus since the strap goes over the opposite shoulder, I had two hands free and didn't worry about losing my purse as I negotiated the airport.
(I put gum and chapstick and candies for the kids in the other). It also lay flat against me and wasn't too bulky (I did try to fill it, though). Plus since the strap goes over the opposite shoulder, I had two hands free and didn't worry about losing my purse as I negotiated the airport. I think I'd make it again...in a heavy cotton or decorator fabric, perhaps.

5 comments:
Would make it again if someone was buying it? I am interested.
yes, I would. I'll talk to you about it at your blog. =)
cute! I recently went back to a back pack because I needed more pockets than my smaller bag had...also I needed more room (more kids=more stuff to haul). I've been brainstorming ideas about making my ultimate bag, but have yet to actually sketch it, let alone make it.
if you need to practice those invisible zippers again or want to make it in a different fabric... as i said before, i really like it.
Where is your apron? I keep thinking I will see a photo of it here. Just letting you know that I am waiting. No pressure though!
Post a Comment