Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Sassy Apron Swap - Part II

Due to my unfortunate decision making at the post office (or the wacky customs to the north) the darling sassy apron I made for the summer swap never arrived at its intended destination. I felt so badly about the whole thing that I made another apron for my partner. I didn't use the same material, as I didn't have enough, and I decided to make this one full of personality. Perhaps this is the apron I really wanted to make in the first place...it's pretty cheeky. I modeled it after my favorite half apron, but made it heavy duty. I tend to to this alot with items. They could probably withstand a nuclear bomb--or its kitchen equivalent. Also, these aprons tend to be a one of a kind work of art. Don't ask where this comes from, I don't know. Anyway. Here is the apron. (I love my half apron, which I wear at my ribs like a baby-doll style. I haven't found a full apron with a neck loop that doesn't bug me or pull funny across the chest. Hence my preference for half... )

Okay, really, here's the apron. I kept the nautical, boating theme, but maxed it out a little bit. I used Japanese screen fabric for the water, and random bits for the boat and cloud. One sail is the fabric from the first apron.


The flags on the line are actual nautical letters which spell out the name of my partner, the bathing suit is the cheeky anchor and the other fabric from the original apron.

The sunshine has free-hand machine embroidery rays and hides behind a cloud pocket. There are also pockets at the bottom along the water. (My little "jennibit" butterfly is in the corner.)
The reverse side is red and white-for "O Canada". I love how bright and cheerful the stars are, and the half stars on the pocket detail remind me of maple leafs! I put the pockets at an angle because that just felt better than straight. They seem to be easier to get into that way. The ties are red and white twill tape-to coordinate with either side. The complete back is lined in white broadcloth.
The dishtowel got the itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny-polka-dotted-non-bikini swimsuit on it. Lovely.
Like I said, this thing is industrial strength. I try to keep it simple, but I just got carried away. It was so much fun to make. I hope my partner gets this apron and has fun wearing it before the summer is completely over!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the 'suit!

Wood Violet said...

Jenni,
It's Karen from the Great White North. Just wanted to let you know that not only did I get Apron #2 (it was delayed in customs, but I got it this morning)but I also got Apron #1! That arrived several weeks ago but I somehow managed to loose your note and was waiting to hear back from Lucy with your details. Anyway... I LOVE MY APRONS & DISH TOWELS!!! I'll be dropping you a proper note soon but I didn't want you so worry about whether the aprons arrived. Seriously though, I don't know if you're an Annie Hall fan, but I don't just love my aprons, I LURV them :) Thanks you so much!!!!
Karen

traci said...

That lucky lady. I loved both of them. But, I do think you should go with your "cheeky" creative side more often as I adore this appliqued sail boat apron. Too much!

~jen said...

Karen,
Yeah! So glad you got them! Thanks for letting me know. I'm happy you "lurv" them! =)
jen