Wednesday, February 20, 2008

KJ dress

This is the dress I made for my neice this January. Well, I actually finished it this year, but I started it 4 years ago when my sister was expecting...a boy it turned out. I've kept it as her dress ever since. I finally got to finish it this year!

It's made of linen in Simplicity 9150 (currently out of print and unavailable). I like the pintucking at the bodice and sleeves and bonnet. The neck and arm "cotton lace" is edging #35, and the bottom edge is #96 from 111 Easy Edgings.


I put one row of edging around the neck and on the arm holes, and two rows on the bonnet, one inside the brim, one outside. Tiny pearls dot the inner corners of the scallops.
Three rows of edging around the bottom, with 3-D roses between two rows. Large pearls in the center of the scallops and roses. Pearls are attached to the crochet, not the actual dress. The roses are from the center of a doily.

The pearls and cotten edging give some "weight" to the bottom of the dress and some shimmer that's still soft. I also made a cotton slip, since the dress wasn't lined. (I think I prefer lined dresses, as I don't have a serger and don't like the rough edges.)

1 comments:

kristib said...

My little girl was just blessed...her dress was nowhere near as gorgeous. Impressive.