Another fun freehand machine embroidery design, this time for my bro-in-law for Christmas.
I positioned the "fish" (at least what's left of him!) over the right shoulder, with the majority of the design on the back.
Only a little teaser of the tail is visible from the front of the shirt.
This is the entire design, over the shoulder seam. The darker lines are where I stitched multiple times. I think I'd stitch over the entire thing again, if I were to attempt this again. I tried to make the most continuous line possible...less threads to bring to the back and tie off. I'm also thinking about putting a fusible knit stabilizer/interfacing on the inside to cover up the threads and keep the design more secure. Would it work? I don't know....
Oh, here is Julie Dunbar's site. She's the one who showed this technique on Martha Stewart, and inspired this project. I rarely see Martha, but this was one episode I was excited to catch!
I've enjoyed experimenting with this process...I only worry that I get a little too "detail" oriented and perhaps a bit carried away....
Any ideas for the next attempt?
Friday, January 4, 2008
Skeleton Fish
Posted by jenni-bit at 4:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am most impressed. I don't have the hand eye coordination for that. Have you tried doing it upside down with decorative thread in the bobbin? My quilt guild is doing that in a couple of months and it sounds interesting. It would give you a heavier thread for the design work.
That does sound interesting. I haven't done much quilting or embroidery work...just a little here and there when the mood strikes. I like this method for the "instant gratification" I get when the design is done so fast-much faster than by hand.
Bobbin embroidery is the same thing. You just work upside down. The top of your piece is faced down, receiving the heavy thread from the bobbin. The back of your item is faced up so you are working inreverse which only matters if you are lettering. It's all free motion like what you do, just darker lines.
Post a Comment