My sis. has a new baby girl. She loves shopping for dresses. She found the cutest dress at Gymboree--it looks like neapolitan ice cream. Yum!
--but she felt the price was a little steep, and after I looked at it, I felt the fabric was a little impractical for an infant. 100% silk. Luxurious, to be sure, and probably simply adorable on, but it's dry clean. I won't even wear dry clean clothes when I'm holding an infant, let alone put such clothes ON one. I suppose if you look at it as a one time event.....
Anyway. It was too scrumptious to pass up. Little dresses are easy to sew, and I wanted to suprise my sis for Easter. So, I made my own version this weekend. (and now I'm craving ice cream....)

I used Simplicity pattern 3854, view A/B, with E/F sleeves, size S (13-18lbs). I made it out of linen and linen/cotton blends that I had in my stash. I pieced my own skirt.
I made all the inner seams french seams, since I don't have a serger to finish them, and I didn't plan on lining the dress. The neck and armhole are finished off with bias tape. I like everything to be neat and tidy, and not tickly on sensitive skin. (or unraveling in the wash)

I made all the inner seams french seams, since I don't have a serger to finish them, and I didn't plan on lining the dress. The neck and armhole are finished off with bias tape. I like everything to be neat and tidy, and not tickly on sensitive skin. (or unraveling in the wash)


(I debated this, it's easy to throw in a skirt and a net ruffle, but they don't always wash up well-and it's hard to tell if they will or not. I figure a baby dress needs to be washable, plus the linen has enough structure that it might not have "poofed" out much even with a net ruffle slip.) I finished off all the inner seams, even the waistband. The zipper is a bit wonky (favorite sewing word at the moment) because of the bulk at the waistband.
The pink bow and sash are made from a one inch tube of pink linen sewn at the waistband.
The pink bow and sash are made from a one inch tube of pink linen sewn at the waistband. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well. The fabric should hold up nicely this summer, and the dress will probably fit that long! I hope my sis likes it... and I thank her for aiding my new career of dress design copying.

p.s. If you love the Gymboree dress, don't let my little rant stop you from getting it. It is adorable!! =)

10 comments:
Too cute, I'm considering a copy of this too. Way to go. I haven't even pulled my machine out since December!
I love it! Now I want ice cream too...
What a cute dress. I admire your creativity on making it instead of buying it. (I probably would have done the latter) Great job I am sure your sister will love it too!
Wow! You are good, you really put thought into everything. Are you going into business?
I would love to have a business making little girl dresses/clothes, baby blankets, purses and stuff. I'm not super business savvy-pricing, marketing, time management... but when I get the details worked out it'll be fun! (or would it not be fun anymore? hmm...)
Wow! I am impressed. It looks so good. If I ever get a house to decorate, I am going to have to get your input and possibly hire you to help with ideas/drapes, or something, because you do a great job!
Katrina sent me to your website (I'm her mom) so I could be impressed by your amazing sewing talent. Boy am I impressed! That little dress is adorable! - Judy
How did your sister like the suprise dress?! You should post some of her in the dress!!
Beautiful and I love the detail you added. My kids are beginning to make me a grandma. Only boys yet but I have been thinking about making some girl clothes to practice on. I work with a ministry and will donate them. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. It is absolutely beautiful.
Wow - you have done a fantastic job with the dress! I like your rendition alot - it's also much more practical so it will get worn many times more than the original. Great work!
Post a Comment